Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Iceland Summary


We like to write a summary post for each trip with some overall thoughts, so I’m taking this opportunity on a rainy day in Newfoundland to look back at my trip with Carrie to Iceland.

Iceland is an extraordinarily well-kept country. Most all the houses we saw were
well-maintained and there was almost no trash along the roads. In the United
States, it's common to see run-down houses, rusting junk in yards, and litter
along the roads, but I just didn't see that in Iceland.

I also didn't see much poverty. Iceland is a wealthy nation like the United
States, but I didn't see as much income disparity. OECD data supports this.
Often in the United States, rural areas are struggling, but in Iceland's rural
areas, I just saw tidy farms.

Iceland is a land of many waterfalls. We visited many of the well-known ones,
but would also see waterfalls just along the road.
The landscape is mostly arctic tundra, so many areas don't have trees. The
ground cover ranges from grassy fields to scrub to just moss to bare rock.


Iceland drivers were uniformly courteous. Not sure if that's cultural or just
the lack of congestion.
We had cloudy skies and some rain in the south and sunshine in the north. We
didn't have downpours, so we were able to do everything we planned despite the
rain, but were told that July and August often had better weather than May. I
was comfortable in a wool sweater and shell even on the chilliest day.
Iceland has been a popular place to visit and we certainly saw lots of
tourists, but I wonder if the trend is waning. Gas, restaurants, and lodging
are expensive. Historically it's had cheap airline fares, but with the collapse
of WOW airlines, airline fares have gone up a bit. We spent 3000 USD for two
people for an 8-day rental-car drive of the ring road including airfare from
Boston, buying groceries and cooking all but 3 of our meals.

I feel embarrassed if I don't know the native language and don't want to be the
arrogant United States tourist that expects everyone to speak English. But most
all the locals we met spoke good English, and not just the ones working in
tourism. In the United States, it's common to say hello when you meet a hiker
along a lightly-used trail, but this was less true in Iceland -- people weren't
unfriendly but just didn't say anything, perhaps because there are so many
languages represented.

My last thought is that I have a great daughter. This was our first trip with
just the two of us now that she is an adult, and I wasn't sure how the personal
interactions or trip logistics would work out. But she was wonderful, helping
with the trip details and making the best of things even on rainy days and on
challenging stream crossings. I am blessed.