Sunday, August 17, 2014

Montana - Glacier National Park – Many Glacier



Rain was predicted for the day, but by the time we drove to the area known as Many Glacier it stopped. Again we chose separate outings. We are still married.  :-)


BARBARA’S OUTING

I chose the 3.6 mile round trip to Redrock Falls along the Swiftcurrent Trail.  I hiked alone at first with some trepidation as it is grizzly bear country.  Then all of a sudden I saw a group of people with cameras all pointed into the woods.  Hmmm… What did they see?  I should have guessed… it was a moose.  In fact it was a mom moose with her “preteen.”  I had trouble getting a good shot due to all the branches, but I loved watching them.
The reason I should have guessed it was a moose was because 10 years ago when our family was on the same trail we spotted a moose about 10 minutes further along the trail. 

I enjoyed the views of the mountains and falls, too.


BILL’S OUTING

Our family had hoped to hike to Iceberg Lake on our previous trip to Glacier, but the trail was closed due to grizzly bears. No closure this year, just stern warnings to watch for bears and avoid them, so I headed out. If I felt up to it, I could also include Ptarmigan Lake and Tunnel. The trail to Iceberg was typical Glacier, with soaring mountains and tall trees so far away that they look like matchsticks.

Iceberg Lake was a unique and beautiful lunch spot. A few people swam in it, and when one woman got out, she said between shivers, “Definitely not worth it.”


I still had energy when I reached the Ptarmigan trail, so I went to the lake.
You may be able to see the Z-shaped switchback trail beyond the lake up to the tunnel. The area beyond the tunnel is reportedly very beautiful, so I went up the trail and through the tunnel.

I came out in a cloud, so couldn’t see much.


There weren’t many hikers on the Ptarmigan trail, so I was more vigilant about looking and listening for bears or moving vegetation. Nothing. When the trail joined back with the Iceberg trail, there were many more hikers, so I felt more comfortable. Until I saw 3 rangers with rifles asking, “Have you seen any bears in the last 5 minutes?” One ranger told me that there were many recent sightings. With some trepidation, I continued on the last mile to the parking lot. A bush shook once, but nope, that was only a marmot. Back in the parking lot I vowed to kiss the prettiest girl I found, and I found Barbara.  :-)