Thursday, August 14, 2014

Montana - Glacier National Park – Logan Pass Trails


Today we took separate outings but started from the same place – Logan Pass.  Since the parking lot there resembles a mall parking lot before Christmas, we took the shuttle.

BARBARA'S ADVENTURE


I took the 3mi round trip (460’ elevation) to Hidden Lake Overlook.  The first thing I noticed on the trail was a number of men coming down the trail wearing ties.  Hmmm…  Then I came upon a photographer taking pictures of a bride and groom.  Well they picked a great backdrop for their pictures – a picture-perfect blue sky, alpine flower-filled meadows, and snow-capped peaks. 

I saw marmots, a big horn sheep, and lots of mountain goats.  

As I was taking a picture in one direction a mountain goat with horns ran right behind me from the other direction.

Here is the view of Hidden Lake from the overlook.



I also had time afterward to listen to a talk on disappearing glaciers and watch the movie at the visitor’s center.

BILL'S ADVENTURE 

If Glacier National Park isn’t God’s backyard, then He certainly lives nearby,” was written on the Granite Park Chalet blackboard, attributing Robin Williams.

My favorite section of Glacier is just northwest of Logan Pass, so I hiked the Highline trail from Logan Pass to the Chalet and back, plus the spur trail to Grinnell glacier (total of 16.5 miles, 1800’ elevation). The trail is cut into the side of the mountain and one narrow section has a cable handhold bolted to the mountain. But look past that in the picture below to the view, and the above-treeline trail is just view after view of mountain grandeur.

Rainier has more flower-filled meadows, but Glacier has flowers too.

These pictures try but fail to capture the sheer size and splendor of the mountains.


There isn’t much left of the Grinnell glacier, which saddens me. After the hike, I attended the disappearing glacier ranger talk but at a later time than Barbara.

Dousing my hat in a waterfall on the return trip felt so cool and good that I did it at all the remaining falls.

Glorious hikes for both of us.